About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rain Barrel



My Rain Barrel came about as an afterthought.


Why didn't I think of this before?

After adding an under deck roof for the patio below, the first rain came. We sat happily on the now dry patio to enjoy the summer rain. While there, we witnessed a problem. The new down spout, which channels rain from the newly installed under deck roof, dumped sufficient water to run back onto the patio.




So! Now there was another project to work out ~ to route the water away from the patio via an underground pipe and downhill.

The immediate solution was to put a large pot under the spout to catch the rain water until this could be completed. After another rain, the benefit of using nice rain water for my plants on the patio, was something I really didn't want to give up.


Off to the store to purchased the largest pot I could find to serve as my rain barrel. Has worked out to be A GREAT IDEA!


Since then,, I have heard of many having Rain Barrels around and even found them online for sell. Now, of course, I want a larger one.


Just talking about rain barrels at the Garden Shop brought several people drift over to add stories about their effort and interest. Am told it saves thousands of gallons of water during a summer. I love using the nice fresh rain water.
It has to help with the erosion as well.


One nice man stopped to tell me about his. He said in England they are called "Watter Butts."

Mine rain barrel fills quickly to the point that we needed the downspout made to rotate and connect to a permanent underground pipe for when we travel or the barrel is full.
Don't you think this is a fun idea?
Of course, on many islands each house, each building has a large cistern to catch and hold rain water and is at times their only source of fresh water.

Do you have a rain barrel?
June







3 comments:

WV Janis said...

June:

I do not have a rain barrel. However, we are cleaning out our gutters now; so it would be something to consider! Thank you for promoting this great idea to save water-- a most valuable natural resource. With all my savings tumbling in value, I need to cut corners somewhere.

Keep posting!

WV Janis

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

June: Cool idea with the rian barrel. It looks like a welcome flower addition.
Thanks for your visit, I'm a county guy for certain but I did go to a Doo-Wop show also this year and posted some pictures on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I would love a rain barrel. Now if we could get some rain.

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive