About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Monday, January 28, 2008

A Somber Question

It was 1 o'clock in the morning and everyone "who had any sense," as my Dad used to say, would have been in bed sleeping.

We weren't, of course. We were somewhere in the Caribbean Ocean aboard a Cruise Ship. There, in the Ball Room of the ship, the band played all our favoirtes to happy people on the dance floor. They didn't seem to notice the ship rolling from one side to the other, as if to keep in rhythm with the music. What great music. We could see the moon on the water. What a beautiful site. It was totally surreal. Was one of those evenings that you wish would never come on an end.

My thoughts went to my friend who had invited me to join her on this cruise. She and I went to high school together. A very long friendship, indeed. This night, she had already turned in, leaving me with all the gang we had met on the ship.

My friend had just been told she was in remission from cancer and the doctor advised her to do everything she ever wanted to do and do it as quickly as she can. When she called with this good news, she went on to say she had always wanted to go on a cruise and wanted me to go with her. I was so honored that she thought of me. We booked it immediately and booked it First Class. And, bottom line~ we had a BALL.

Back to this night, thinking of her situation put me in a somber mood.

I wanted to ask all the people at the table a question that actually I had been thinking about. This is the quesion.

"What would you do if you were told you had only one year to live? You would be in reasonably good health up until the very end and then a quick demise. How would you want to spend this year?"

After much consideration, everyone answered.

My own answer was sentimental.

Dwelling later on my answer, I decided to carry out my thoughts and do it right away, which I did. I had a deep desire...like a wish, to revisit all the people who had played a significant roll in my life. I wanted to spend time with them and talk one to one ~ to know them now and know how they view life. Doing this lead me to discovering many people I had lost along the way. T'was a fabulous experience.

Please share how you have lived out your wishes.

iJune








4 comments:

WV Janis said...

I think I was one of the people who got a friendship rekindled during this time. How fun to have been a part of this process for you. I made an effort to do a similar thing at Christmas.

If I knew I were in my final year, I'd do the family and friend thing; I'd finish my scrapbooks, I'd label earthly possessions with sentimental value and list on ebay all the items that don't mean anything to me. I'd clean out closets, literally and metaphorically. I'd travel, alternating between places I'd already been and new places.

Finally, I'd go eat one more meal at the Ivy Restaurant in London. For the occasion, I'd ditch my fanny pack and buy a Birkin handbag by Hermes to be one of the little old ladies at the restaurant with a proper handbag to perch on the seat beside me.

That is just a start to my list. Maybe I'd better quit my job and get started on those exciting things today!!!!!!!!!

WVJA

Anonymous said...

Love this posting! And especially love the sassy hat! You are so wonderful to have held on to true friendships through the years. Collecting memories along the way. What a great gift to yourself... real friends.

Anonymous said...

First I would go on a spending spree, eat pies, smoke, drink whatever I wanted to and go out to eat every night. I would sell the house,rent a yacht for a couple of months and then fly to Rio for a fortnight. I would get out my little ol' black book and call all my ol' flames. I would check into a 5 Star Hotel, etc. You get the picture, right?

WV Janis said...

Dear iJ:

We're going to have to do something to keep these "janes" straight. I never know if it is "friend from afar" Jane or "baby" Jane who is posting.

WV-- JA

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive