About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Monday, April 7, 2008

Baby Moses ~ Nile River near Cairo Episode 7







Leaving the Coptic Museum in Cairo, my English speaking guide mentioned casually.

"Just down that road is were they found your baby Moses on the River Nile."

This sparked much interest for me. I had just explored a museum which houses some of the finest collections of Coptic art dating back to Egypt’s Christian era, connecting the Islamic or Muslim religion which came about after the the Arab conquest in 641AD.

BABY MOSES? I had not known to ask about that site. Just never would have occurred to me. Naturally, I wanted to see this area as visions of artists depictions of the scene in movies and books flashed though my mind.

"Not even I would go down that way as it is very dangerous area," my guide explained.

This young man in uniform have been assigned to me as he spoke English and was my guide; the other man was our driver. I had a car with driver for the days when Spetura, the wife or the General himself couldn't go site-seeing with me.

At this point, I knew I was going to see where they found baby Moses. I asked him to please wait for me.

It was down a narrow back road much like an alley.

Within a the distance of a block, I regretted my decision as the road narrowed as it went downhill towards the river. On both sides of this road were the most pitiful sights of people I had yet to see in my life. (Remember, we lived in South American and traveled widely off the tourist trails, which exposed some very disturbing poverty as well.) Perhaps an Egyptian mas would have been robbed here.

Something within kept me from turning back...I continued down the hill to the river. Almost there, I could see dirty, trashed and dark water backed up under a high bridge and guarded by a tall iron fence. The afternoon sun was dipping low as well.

I couldn't imagine a Palace ever being on this site. Disappointed, I walked fast back towards my Guide who was about the distance of 2 blocks away.

The poor people were staring at me as I walked passed them.

If I had dropped out of the sky I couldn't have had more attention. Actually, thinking about it, I did. I tried not to look their way, but am just to curious not too.

One scene of a woman in rags and her children sitting up under a bridge that was clearly their home. It was well established as if generations had lived there instead of a temporary shelter. Egypt being a dry and hot climate, this would be possible.

The guide searched my face as I told him I couldn't really see anything because of the fence. I, naturally, didn't mention the state of the people down there. He didn't ask.

That night at the dinner table, I related to my host about the incident and both of them were amazed that I would be interested in finding where Moses was found. I wanted to tell them that I went to Sunday School everyday of my youth and loved the story of Baby Moses in the Bulrush on the river...but that would have been too foreign to them.

Both the General and his wife agreed that wasn't the right location. The guide had been mistaken but they could take me and we could explore that area the next day. My heart leapt with joy. To me. that would most meaningful.

Cont ~ iJune

No comments:

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive