About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Monday, June 23, 2008

Saving the Nite-Nite



When Madison was a baby, she called her little pink and white blanket her 'nite-nite'. She had been swaddled in this blanket since she was born. All of her life, everywhere Miss Madison went, the 'huggie blanket' was with her.

When she was a baby and here, I wrapped her in this blanket and off to the swing on the patio we would go. With her all cuddled to me for more warmth, we would swing. Soon the squeaking of the swing and my rendition of "Rock a Bye Baby" plus the birds chirping, took her into a deep sleep. My heart was so full, as she was so, so sweet. It was a bonding that will last a lifetime.

Another memory I have of her and her 'hugging blanket,' I was rocking her in my rocking chair and she was, of course, wrapped in her magical blanket. She was so sweet. Her little blond head rested sleeping in my arms. I remember taking her beautiful little hand in mine and was awestruck by how much I loved that child.

This was shortly after 9/11. Suddenly
the saddest feeling of sincere grief came over me. I thought of all the men and women my age, who lost their grown children in the 9/11 tragedy...they were victims not recognized. I felt so sad for them. They not only lost their grown children, but their unborn grandchildren as well. They were cheated. I grieved for them as they lost these moments of experiencing the awesome feeling of loving a grandchild.
Now Miss Madison is 7 years old, and her 'nite-nite' is called her "Huggie Blanket."

She was with us for an overnight, and this morning, she held her threadbare blanket up and she asked if I could save her 'huggie blanket'.

Without a doubt, we put perhaps 10001 stitches to save her nite-nite. They both will soon be eight years old.
She is such a pleasure.
June

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am glad you are saving the blanket. It is a special memory.
Yesterday at church a friend was given a baby shower. Her bset friend will make a blanket with a special saying from each person who attended.
I still have a blanket someone made for my oldest son. I should get it out and give to his children. Shall have to think on that one.

Did you kill a goldfish with the BB gun?

Anonymous said...

another sweet story and memory that reminds me of my own daughter's love of her silky blanket...she had two...her favorite she called her chocolate silk blanket. I am going to see if I can retrieve it. She is now almost 50 and would be surprised to see I still have it. Thanks June. Janet

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive