About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Memories of my Granny Richards

I wonder what memories my grandchildren will take with them as they grow older.
My memories of my Granny are so precious to me.
She lived on the family farm which fell from Plantation status after the Civil War and became a wonderland for me as a child.
I remember her long cotton dresses and black high top boots she wore. Her long black hair was graying ~I would watch her braid and wrap neatly atop her head.
Her everyday dresses were topped with a generous apron which doubled as a basket when she pulled up the bottom to receive apples or eggs.
I went with her everywhere and cherished everyday I had with her.
She cooked over a wood burning stove and drew water from the well which was on a large porch just outside her kitchen door.
Her wood stove had a reservoir for water, therefore, she always had hot water for dishes or tea.
I loved my Granny more than anyone on this earth.
She was my idol.
I remember so much~seemingly every minute I had with her.
How was I to know~ we were living in a history that was on the edge of extinction.
I lost her and the world she lived in when I was only nine~
Swiftly the world changed.
Technology moved in and changed my world.
Now, I am a granny.
Last night we took the children to Washington Harbor ~
The Grand Chapiteau
The Plateau at Washington National Harbor.
We enjoyed the
Cirque Du Soleil
"KOOZA"
A giant leap from gathering eggs with my Granny.
No photos were allowed, but I just couldn't resist.
Six year old Carolyn crawled into my lap the last hour and wrapped her feet around my legs to anchor herself as she melted into sleep.
Her brother make it all the way to the end.
Another midnight evening for us.
~YAWN~







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

June, you are leaving wonderful memories. Your grandchildren are very luck.

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive