About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Friday, December 19, 2008

Traveller's Phrase Book

TRAVELLER'S PHRASE BOOK T-SHIRT

Found this is Gift Ideas and actually something that would have come in handy many times for me.

Once traveling through Germany with a very good friend Nancy A, we were having lunch in a busy little town. I sat writing postcards; she was chatting with other Americans at the next table. When finished writing, I excused myself saying that I wished to mail the cards and would be right back.

Out on the street, I realized I didn't know what a German Post Box looked like nor do I speak/read German. Decided it couldn't be that hard, I walk around looking for something that jumped out at me to be a mailing box.

About a block from the little restaurant was a large medal box with an opening at the top. It sat at the side of the sidewalk which seemed to me to be a logical place for a Mail box. There was writing but no photos ...

A young good looking blond guy stood leaning on the box...German could tell by looking at him. AH!
For sure, it is either a trash receptacle OR a Mail Box.

I excused myself to the young guy and proceeded ....assuming, of course, he didn't speak English.
"Is this where I mail postcard?" (pointing to postcards in my hand and gesturing towards the opening in the box.)?"
He looked at the postcards and looked at the box and looked at me...and I assumed he didn't understand...

I repeated my sentence and jesters...and added "To fly to the Unites States?"
(making an airplane with my arms and making flying movements)

He looked at me...without even smiling, I might add....and in perfect English said,
"I don't know, been trying to figure it out myself."

HE WAS AN AMERICAN !!!!

"OH MY GOSH!" I said, laughing and tossing the postcards into the box...
Guess WHAT?
The postcards never arrived!

Of course, I knew to ask ..."Pardon, do you speak English?" but he looked SO GERMAN.
This shopping idea came the year.....

If you are travelling a lot and don't always know the language of the country you are visiting, then this T-shirt is for you. It has a phrase book printed on it so just point a finger at the pictogram you need and then point it twice at the question mark, which means, 'Where is it?' and in no time you have found what you were looking for... Or not. (Another possibility for the foreign language impaired)

No comments:

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive