About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Saturday, July 4, 2009

West Virginia

The neighboring state to our West is West Virginia.
West Viriginia is such a unique state. I feel close to the people as one of my most beloved friends was
born in West Virginia. She has traveled the world and has accomplished more than most people ever dream of...she has lived in many stares and today, makes her home
in North Carolina .

I met her when we both lived in Key West, Florida. She was one of three who rode bikes most evenings on a little long deserted stip of land off Trumbo Point. We rode amongst the Palm trees and ocean spray ...an experience never to be recreated.

One thing we learned about her is that...her heart is forever in West Virginia.

Seems this is true for all sons and daughters of that state...memories of happy, down to earth simple life...amongst the beautiful natural beauty and abundant feelings of security and belonging.

Please ENJOY this "youtube" posting of the unique music of West Virginia.
Note the difference in voices and music from what is known as "Country Music."
This is true West Virginia...enjoy~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHvWvOsrMuo

Click the above link or cut and copy to open.

2 comments:

WV Janis said...

Thanks for the PR for West Virginia, June. Being "this friend," I only hope my life can be as full as Aunt Dot's and that I will have as many wonderful relatives in my life as you! The birthday pictures make me want to arrange to be at your house on MY birthday. I can see it now, a purple cake in the shape of WV, saying

"Happy Birthday..... West Virginia, Oh, my home....."

By the way, the song was written by WV's own Hazel Dickens who now lives in the DC area and, among other accomplishments, in 2001, received a National Heritage Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Oh, and Happy Fourth of July. I'm sure you'll have some fabulous photos!

Jane, born in West Virginia said...

Nice, but I still prefer "Almost heaven..West Virginia."
I also watched "The Best of W. Va." There is no word to describe
those mountains but "majestic!" I guess they're just in my bones
since I relate to mountains ten times more than to beaches or the
ocean.

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive