About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Friday, February 1, 2008

Amazon River


On one trip up to the Amazon River, this little monkey came to me...
but they wouldn't let me take him back to our home in Barazilia.
One of my lifetime dreams was to see and travel the mighty Amazon River~

~ Dream comes true ~

Another Amazon traveler...
Another tour boat passes us.

The river is over 4,000 miles long~the GREATEST River in the World.
Children board the boat to sell trinkets...we socialize and buy their hand made necklaces.
Indian Villages and little towns along the Amazon River

are built on logs to rise and fall with the river.

Dry season is one thing, however, it is said when the rainy season comes, the river can rise 30 feet or more over night. On logs, they are safe from floods.
River boats make frequent trips up and down the AMAZING river.
The water isn't clear ~ always muddy as you see.
Traveling the river we came to places that are so wide, you cannot see either shore. The great river branches off in all directions into the dense rainforrest and jungle. The branches are are rivers onto themselves and so wide at times,

it almost impossible to determine which is true course of the main river.







1 comment:

WV Janis said...

Seeing you clutching that monkey reminds me of how much times have changed. We wouldn't go near one now!

In India, a little boy tried to get me to buy a tree twig from him. He pointed to a monkey and showed me how you switch them away. I didn't buy the twig and he looked at me and said, as if he had put a hex on me, "Monkey BITE you!" and scampered off to find someone to buy a stick. (Monkey didn't bite me).

Interesting to think of children growing up with primates in the same way our children are raised with dogs and cats.

The pictures from Brazil are great.

WV--JA

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive