About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Saturday, February 9, 2008

"Take Two Truths and Call Me in the Morning"

A book written by Psychiatrist, Gordon Livingston,
sounds interesting and a good read about life in general.
Thought this worth sharing~



To quote from an article in the Washington Post,
"We are not what we think, or what we say, or how we feel. We are what we do. Conversely, in judging other people we might need to pay attention not to what they promise but how they behave.....we are drowning in words, many of which turn out to be lies we tell ourselves or others."



The key to happiness, he argues, is looking at your life not as it should be but as it is. Only then, can you plan your future. So many of his essay titles are stripped of excuses or platitudes:


~ "The statute of limitations has expired on most of our childhood traumas."

~ "Any relationship is under the control of the person who cares the least."

~ "Our greatest strengths are also our greatest weaknesses."

~ "Only bad things happen quickly."

~ "The problems of the elderly are frequently serious but seldom interesting."

Stimulating thoughts, don't you agree?

iJune

3 comments:

WV Janis said...

iJune

Since we're doing quotes, I cannot resist the quotes of Helen Keller. They are all profound. Her autobiography is one of the best for teachers in training to read. Here are some great quotes from this wonderful (blind and deaf) woman from Tuscumbia, Alabama:

--Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.
Helen Keller

--Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light.
Helen Keller

--I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.
Helen Keller

--I can see, and that is why I can be happy, in what you call the dark, but which to me is golden. I can see a God-made world, not a manmade world.
Helen Keller

--I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.
Helen Keller

She was a mighty woman from "your neck of the woods."

You're mighty silent today. Blogees become codependent on their blogers. Ou est vous?

June said...

Westviriniajanis,

Helen Keller ~ One powerful story. Amazing woman and quotes.
Hope everyone is reading comments ~ and and yes, would be nice to have a comment discussion group.

My children do follow to some extent. I read the element of surprise in their responss ~ surprise that they actually enjoy the stories. (smile)

My plans are to publish a book with all the family stories complete with the geneology lines. Therefore, that pushes me to write those mixed in with others. Blogging seems to be whatever comes to the blogger's mind. Here? Seems that I go to bed with a story that haunts me until I write it. Speaking of haunts, have a ghost story on my mind now.
Thanks again for your thoughtful responses.
Yours, iJune

WV Janis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive