About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Young Cooks ~ Boiling Corn

One group of friends I call the "Golden Girls" because we have known each other for fifty years. We were children together and bonded early as we walked to school together. The walk was a nice long walk that put down these long solid roots of friendship.
This story is about an incident with one of the Golden Girls, Peggy.

We were in our twenties, just out of school when Peggy and I got an apartment together. Both of our Dad's went with us to buy a car as we now needed our own transportation. We selected great big Pontiac's as gas prices weren't a problem at about 17 cents per gallon.
The dealer had two cars just alike but different colors...mine was yellow and white... Peggy's was aqua and white. Our Dad's got a 'deal' was we bought two cars at the same time.

That was a great summer of our lives. We were young and totally free.

Neither one of us knew how to cook and didn't own a cookbook.
One beautiful summer day, I went for groceries and decided we would enjoy corn on the cob.

Preparing dinner, I asked, "How long do you boil corn?"
Together we decided since most thing take about 30 minutes, that was it. We put the corn in and brought it to a boil and turned it a few times during the 30 minutes of cooking.

Well, that corn was hard. Under-cooked we decided ...so next meal...45 minutes...still wasn't done...
We boiled it a full hour...we were amazed corn took so long to cook.
We were now on a quest to have tender boiled corn.

Next corn attempt, we wanted to boil it about two hours, we decided.
Peggy reminded me to
"June, remember to put the corn on to boil as soon as you get home today."
After an afternoon of boiling and failing, we finally asked someone...

"How long should you boil corn?"
"About 6-7 minutes"

Peggy got engaged almost immediately after meeting Charles, thus ending our apartment living and cooking.
June

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the memories you have kept and passed on. I will never forget the corn on the cob incidents. Please keep up the memories. I look forward to every blog you write.

Anonymous said...

My pontiac was a pale aqua and white. I kept it so long the floor on the passenger side rusted out.

Oh, the corn, we were so stupid. Lets hope we have improved in the past years. It was fun and I do cherish the thoughts.

Love,
Peggy T., Beautiful Buda, Tx

Anonymous said...

I read your blog today about the corn that you and Peggy cooked.

I found it very interesting that I had an experience very similar to that. A member of the National Guard came by one day and brought me a sack of corn that he had grown. The corn was his specialty and it did not look like regular corn as it was much smaller and he said would be much tastier. I brought the corn home and Janice cooked it for supper but it had a raw taste so I told her to cook it some more for the next evening. To make a long story short, she cooked the corn every day for seven days and it still had a raw taste so we threw it out and gave up on it. I still tell people about her cooking corn for seven day and was still not done. BNF, Pleasant Grove, Al

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious................should send to reader's digest or something

Anonymous said...

my brother was always looking to get that hundred dollars by looking for reader's digest stories.........and yours is one of the best. I really loved it and could identify with it. In fact, one of my old friends that grew up in the country called me this week and asked me how long to boil corn...i could not believe it. She boiled it for 20 minutes and said it was still tough so should she boil it longer..............

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive