About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2nd Recipe From The Lost and Found Files

The following recipe was shared with me after a fabulous Christmas Open House. It is from my BEST FRIEND at the time. Lenna gave the best parties~ Hosted the best Bridge~ She had the best recipes which she gladly shared. She had the "gift of gab" with a keen sense of humor and for that reason, was highly entertaining.
She was one of the treasured Air Force Wives who are like family to each other.

In 1970, Lee, her husband and Ford were on the same flight to a long assignment to Vietnam...there, they flew iron birds all over South East Asia. They flew separate missions, as both were Command Pilots with their own crews.
Lenna and I were not alone....we were not unique during those days. She and I shared everything with lots of humor.

When the guys finally returned home some 14 months (yes!! FOURTEEN MONTHS)(Get a load of that all you girls who whine about your husbands being gone overnight and not there to 'help' you.)
ANYWAY,
they were stationed together again to 9th Headquarters in Sumpter, South Carolina.

It was a GRAND Reunion as we all met and searched for houses to buy in that little town where the southern accent is so thick, they call it "swamp puddin'."
I remember wanting to see "downtown Sumpter" and it was only one short street. We drove through it without realizing that was supposed to be the town.
HOWEVER,
We were close enough to Charleston to drive down for dinner or up to Colombia for a nice French Restaurant.
It was a lovely and happy time in our lives and we played bridge and drank daiquiri's every Friday night and laughed our hearts out.

Lenna became sick and a delayed diagnosis quickly cost her life, Lee his wife and their two young children, their mother. And it cost me my closest and dearest friend in this world at the time.

Here is one of her recipes from my Lost and Found Box...

The recipe card which she wrote on has yellowed around the edges...but our friendship is still golden in my heart.
Fudge
In a saucepan 2 c. brown sugar ~
1 c. granulated sugar,
1 c. evaporated milk~
1/2 c. butter ~~ bring to boil over medium heat.
Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat.
Add: 1 jar marshmallow cream (5 - 10 oz jar)
1 (6 oz) pk of butterscotch chips
1 (6 oz) pk of semi sweet chocolate chips
Stir until melted.
Add: 1 c. pecans or walnuts
1 tsp vanilla
Pour up into a buttered 9 inch square pan.
Makes 2 1/2 pounds.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have several older recipes that are really good. One is for Shrimp Curry a neighbor of ours back in 1962...she was from the Kashmier area of India - if I ever find it, I'll send you a copy - it was real good. I also had one of Chicken Curry - the chicken is marinated in yogurt pre cooking - it also is really good.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try the Fudge recipe,but it will probley be next Christmas before I make it

Anonymous said...

Go for the lost and found recipes.

Anonymous said...

June go for the new book!!!!!!!!!!!
You do such a good job writing. I love your stories.

Anonymous said...

Yes the Lost & Found receipes will be a nice addition to the blog. Everyone like receipes and goodness knows the old discarded ones we use to do would be a welcome change today.

Anonymous said...

I remember a Curry Dinner that I was served years ago with almost the same condiments. It was wonderful and I know what you mean by craving the taste later.

Anonymous said...

I remember a Curry Dinner that I was served years ago with almost the same condiments. It was wonderful and I know what you mean by craving the taste later.

Anonymous said...

Think I will make this one and put it directly on my rear and hips.

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive