About Me

We only go around once, but if we do it right, once is enough~

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Recipe from Lost and Found Files #3

The following recipe is one I am ecstatic over finding.
I have looked on-line for it and not to be found. I have looked through my 100 + cookbooks and it isn't in any of them either.
Why was I searching for it? Was told it was my brother's favorite cake. I wanted to make it for him for a Birthday Cake. The person who told me it was his favorite cake also offered me the recipe, however, it was conditional. I laughed as it was a first for me ~ to have someone hold hostage a recipe in exchange for one of my cookbooks. WHAT?
Was totally sure I could fine it, but no, no. Not to be found~ SO NOW ~ here it is~ in my Lost and Found Files.

Recipe condition:
It is a yellowed recipe card with an even more yellowed newspaper clipping stapled together. On the boarder I have written..."Mama 1971." If I can get my scanner up, will scan in a photo.

Orange Date-Nut Cake
1 c. butter
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1 teasp. soda (dissolve in buttermilk)
2 Tbls grated orange rind
1 pound dates, chopped
1 c. pecans, chopped
4 c. sifted flour
Cream butter and slowly add sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Beating after each egg.
Dissolve soda in buttermilk and add to creamed mixture alternately with flour. Add dates, orange rind and nuts. Bake in a greased and floured tube pan at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
Orange Sauce:
Mix well~ 2 cups sugar, 1 c. orange juice. 2 Tbls grated orange rind. DO NOT COOK. While cake is still hot, pour sauce over it in the baking pan and let the cake cool in the pan. By the time cake is cool, the sauce will be absorbed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

June, thanks for the recipes. I will be using some of them.

Anonymous said...

I love proven and recommended recipes, esp when they include international fare! Go for it!
I am already working on the title! :)

1.Fording International Waters for the World's Best Tables

2. A Daab of Spice
a seasoned southern hostess adds pop and pizazz to your party/entertaining.
3. Dabbling in the Art of Hospitality and International Fare (add your fun decorating, theme, and table setting ideas)

Love,
Karen, Central Texas

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good idea to me.
I need to go over to my Mom's and find her recipe box.

Anonymous said...

I have my grandmother's cake recipe that is purely Southern and I will make it sometime and have you over. It is like a torte with many layers but it is gingerbread and apple butter. Called an apple butter stack cake. Bet you have had one haven't you?

Memories ~ Life is a great trip!


View My Stats

Blog Archive